Mundesley Maritime Museum sits on “The Lees” overlooking the
beach with spectacular views over the sea. The Museum is believed to
be one of the smallest in England.
Mundesley Coastguard Lookout which now houses the museum was built in
replacing an older one on the same site dating back to the Napoleonic
closed down in the early 1990s as the result of major reorganisation
by the Coastguard Service. The building was subsequently bought by
North Norfolk District Council, who in 1994
it on a long lease to Mundesley Parish Council on the understanding
it would house a museum, and giving them the powers to do so.
steering committee was set up to achieve this and eventually a
committee of seven was formed to organize the day to day running of
the museum. The committee consisted of two Parish Councillors and
five members of the public. North Norfolk District Council kindly
refurbished the building at a cost of approximately £3000,
installing the display cabinets and four display boards.
first floor was reinstated as a Coastguard Lookout of the 1930/1940
with a chart table etc. A powerful pair of binoculars on a stand, for
visitor use, was presented by the Coastguard Museum of Bridlington,
East Yorkshire along with the former station records and many of the
items of equipment now on show.
museum was officially opened,
District Councillor Graham Gotts, on May 1st.1995.
about this time the National Coastwatch Institution was looking for
suitable sites to reintroduce
visual lookouts around the North Norfolk coastline.
Parish Council decided to offer the use of the Museum Lookout
facility free of charge,
in return Coastwatch lookout volunteers would complement our Stewards
and greet visitors
the first floor. About this time the mast was fitted with a gaff and
November 11th 2001 the Museum was awarded the Status of Full
Registration having achieved the standards required by the Resource
Registration Scheme (The Council for Museum Archives and Libraries).
Museum is a member of Museums in Norfolk Group.